8.24.2011

A Way We Saved Money...


This is a look into one of the drawers in our refrigerator. As you can see it is full of okra and tomatoes plus a few peppers. Half of the okra came from my garden...the grape tomatoes, other half okra, few peppers and the one tomato in the bowl is from Mrs. Joy's garden and the rest of the tomatoes are from my lovely friend Jessica who brought me them from work. 


I love free produce! I will be making Avocado and Mango Salsa...hopefully tomorrow. With the okra, fried okra with half and I will flash freeze the rest to use in Chicken Tortilla Soup. 


Here is the recipe for the salsa from above! It was super delicious! I couldn't stop eating it! I used a food processor and it was not chunky at all...I probably pulsed it too long but it did not effect the taste at all! Enjoy! 
 http://allrecipes.com/recipe/avocado-tomato-and-mango-salsa/detail.aspx 


To flash freeze the okra, all you need to do is cut them into pieces and line them on a tray lined with wax paper. Leave in the freezer for 1 hour; uncovered. Once frozen, place in a ziploc freezer bag! Mark the bag so you know when you placed it in the freezer! 


Side Note: If I ever get tomatoes from my garden, I will be canning them for spaghetti sauce! I received a canning kit for my birthday and I cannot wait to use it! Be on the look out! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I am thankful you visited my blog today!

I love to read all your comments. Please keep your comments encouraging. Rude comments will be deleted.

Again, thank you!