6.07.2011

"A Mom After God's Own Heart"

I have been reading, "A Mom After God's Own Heart" by Elizabeth George off and on for the past few months. Having an 11 month old does make reading a book very interesting. Today she did great while I read. She just stood there and listened. Here is a portion of what I read:

(Pages 42-43)

"Now I ask you, how does a mom handle each stretching day? How does she manage, in a God-pleasing way, her marriage, her housework, the first baby, the second baby, the third baby, and the fourth baby...all of whom quickly become active toddlers and preschoolers? Answer: She looks to God's empowering -- and peace-producing! -- Word. And doing so makes a difference -- a huge difference!" ...

"What does it take to read through the One Year Bible--or any Bible? It takes about 10 to 12 minutes a day. That's roughly the same time as a quick internet session. That's one-half of a good conversation on the phone with your sister, mom or best friend. That's one-third of a sitcom on TV. That's one-sixth of a television talk show.
  But with an earnest, hungry heart, you rise up from those dozen minutes in the Word filled. You are enthused (from entheos, meaning inspired in or from God) instead of heartless and apathetic. You have set aside worldliness and instead set your mind and heart on things above "where Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God...not on things on the earth" (Colossians 3:1-2). And God's spiritual "fruit of the Spirit"--His "love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control"
(Galatians 5:22-23)--is evident.
    Remember, God's Word makes all the difference in the world in your heart, in your day, and in your parenting. This handful of minutes is such a tiny investment to make in something that produces such massive daily--and eternal--dividends!
    The excellent and godly mother in Proverbs 31:10-31 rose up each day to tend to the fire of the house (verse 15)...and to the "sacred fire"  of her heart (verse 30). Won't you do the same? It's a little choice that will reap big benefits...both in your heart and in the hearts of your children. It will accelerate you down the path of being a more dedicated mother after God's own heart."

God knew this is what I needed to read to today and I had to share it with you. Stop and think about what you just read. We can't do everything on our own... can we? Even though our kids think we are superheros and can do anything! But we can stop and recieve strength, wisdom and peace from God's Word.

Isaiah 40:28-31 says:



"Have you not known? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable. He gives power to the faint, and to him who has no might he increases strength. Even youths shall faint and be weary, and young men shall fall exhausted; but they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint."

That means so much to me! I know when I have not stopped and read from His Word. My days tend to go smoother when I have. They of course are not perfect--babies still cry, the house still needs cleaned and I haven't had time to take a shower-- but I have a great peace that it is okay...God has the stregthen I need. The peace I need. The love I need.

I want to be the Proverbs 31 wife, mom and woman. And it all starts with God and His Word..."storing His commands..." and "...writing them deep within my heart..." (Read Proverbs 3:1-6). 

My new goal and challenge for you is to take 10 minutes: sit down with a cup of coffee and start from the beginning...open His Word. I will share with you my journey reading through the Bible. If you would like to join me in this...let me know. 

If you do not know Jesus Christ as your personal Savior, you can today. I am sure you have heard this many times but it is the truth. God sent his only son to die for our sins. And that is what Christ willingly did for us so that we can spend eternity in heaven with Him...paying for our sins and let me tell you that is where I want to be.

I know that I have done some stupid things...I know when I was wrong (even when I was telling myself I was right). I know when I hurt others and I know when I was angry or had hate in my heart. But confessing this all to Jesus and asking Him to take it from me and come into my life was the most wonderful thing I could have done. I am not going to say my life is perfect but I will say that it is far better than what it was.

Knowing my past and the things that I did (that I knew were wrong) and seeing where I am today...you sure would know that I could not have done it on my own!


I am writing what is on my heart. I pray this will bless your life in some way. Have a wonderful day and remember start with Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I am thankful you visited my blog today!

I love to read all your comments. Please keep your comments encouraging. Rude comments will be deleted.

Again, thank you!