8.26.2011

Freezing Okra

Today I feel very ambitious and I am in the mood to baking and build a stockpile of freezer friendly meals. I do not want to go wild and crazy so I am starting out small. I looked in my fridge to find somewhere to start and I found okra. I had a nice amount of okra that I did not want to go to waste...we have been eating lots of it lately. 




The other day I told my mother-in-law that since they were getting a HUGE amount of okra each day, she should freeze some of it to use for later meals. Apparently, I forgot about that since I have not done that yet. Well until today! 




I set out a cutting board and began work on the okra! (To me...my finger looks funny because I cut this when I was taking a picture with my other hand. lol Multi-tasking!) 




Here is what I ended up with. A good amount of delicious okra that I could save for later use! I am thinking Chicken Tortilla Soup, Fried Okra, and whatever else I can come up with. (I know I will be doing this again since I am growing okra in my garden.)




After I finished cut up the okra, I layed it out on a tray and placed it in the freezer. This is called "flash freezing". I will keep it in the freezer for one hour and then place it into a freezer bag to store. 


Easy and simple! I love it! 


I will also be making Blueberry Buckle. Nathan, Hailey and I have been eating waffles this week so I would like to change it up a bit. I have been out of cereal for a few weeks and haven't found a great sale yet. I am thankful I can come up with alternatives that can be made from scratch! 


Another meal I will be trying out is Bacon or Sausage Egg McMuffins. That I saw on moneysavingmom.com! Super easy and you can freeze them for later! I will only put cheese on half of them per request from Nathan.  


Let me know if you have any other ideas for breakfast! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I am thankful you visited my blog today!

I love to read all your comments. Please keep your comments encouraging. Rude comments will be deleted.

Again, thank you!