10.18.2011

What's For Dinner: From Last Night and For Tonight!


I just had to share this recipe with you all. It is the perfect comfort food! And budget friendly! What more could you ask for...and yes it was delicious!


Adapted From the Gooseberry Patch "Comfort Foods" cookbook. 


Creamy Chicken & Biscuits


4-5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced (I love lots of potatoes!)
3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
1 medium onion, chopped 
4 T butter 
3 T. all purpose flour (it was probably about 4 T.)
1 t. salt 
1/2 t. pepper
2 c. 1% milk 
1 c. fat-free chicken broth
2 T. chicken broth powder (this was from the amish farmer's market)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, baked in the oven at 350 for about 35 minutes ---I seasoned them with McCormick Montreal Chicken Seasoning! yummy! 
8-10 homemade biscuits


Place the potatoes, carrots and onion in a large covered pot to boil...season with salt and pepper. Once they come to a boil, turn to a simmer. 


While that is simmering...melt the butter in another saucepan add flour, salt and pepper. 


Slowly add milk and chicken broth...I added the chicken broth powder to the chicken broth to dissolve. I cooked this until it thickened up...about 5-7 minutes. 


While that was thickening up I made the homemade biscuits (2 1/4 cups baking mix and 2/3 cup milk) and chopped the chicken. 


Mix the vegetables and chicken together in a 13x9 pan...in my case I used my NEW Pampered Chef Deep Covered Baker! Top with the creamy mixture - then I topped it with the homemade biscuits. Baked for about 15-17 minutes at 400 F or until biscuits are golden brown and the sauce is bubbling! 


Once out of the oven...I topped the biscuits with more butter...I feel like Paula Deen or the Pioneer Woman! Once in the bowls, I topped mine with Cajun Seasoning. It was yummy. 


I hope you can use this recipe and change it to make it your own. This cost me under $4 or $5. Can't beat that since it serves 6-8 people! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I am thankful you visited my blog today!

I love to read all your comments. Please keep your comments encouraging. Rude comments will be deleted.

Again, thank you!