10.29.2011

What's For Dinner? - Last Night...


I love fall! Lots of wonderful foods that I am able to make to warm us up - comfort food! Yesterday, my Nana and I were both thinking about making chili for dinner so that is what we did! Here is her recipe: 


Ingredients: 


- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 small cans chili beans (can use kidney beans or pinto beans)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1-2 tbsp. chili powder (I used Tastefully Simple's Wahoo Chili Seasoning- AMAZING!)
- 1 lg jar of spaghetti sauce (nana uses ragu but I used aldi's meat sauce brand)
- 1 packet sugar (this will cut the acidic taste)




Heat a medium skillet and brown ground beef with 1/2 onion (chopped). Add salt and pepper. In a medium saucepan, place beans, sauce, chili powder and sugar. Bring to a boil then lower heat. Add meat once cooked through. 


I would say we cooked the chili for about 20-25 minutes. During the last 5-10 minutes, I threw in some...




Garlic Bread in the oven! Yummy. I had a french loaf in the freezer so I took that out. Then I made a Italian Garlic Butter. Here is what I used: 


- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1-2 tbsp. Tastefully Simple Italian Garlic Bread Seasoning


Baked for 5-10 minutes at 350 F. 


{You can use the Italian Garlic Bread Seasoning to make the best Fettuccine Alfredo  - tastes like you got it from a restaurant! Yummy!}




One more thing we made while the chili and bread was cooking: Mashed Potatoes! 


Now, I am sure you are wondering why mashed potatoes! In my family, we take the chili and pour it over a pile of mashed potatoes! Delicious and totally a comfort food! We also usually serve this with butter wheat bread but we went a little fancier! 


My family has always had mashed potatoes and buttered bread at dinner. I know my nana and papa had that a lot when they were growing up to accompany the main dish. I love it. I am very happy the tradition has been pasted down. Another dish we top with mashed potatoes is SPAGHETTI! 


My aunt and I love this! Everyone thought we were crazy but once they try it...they understand! And yes, buttered bread is always eaten with this meal too! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I am thankful you visited my blog today!

I love to read all your comments. Please keep your comments encouraging. Rude comments will be deleted.

Again, thank you!