3.05.2012

Question From A Reader!

"How do you respond when others verbally disagree with what you are doing with your money? How do you stay gracious and respectful?



"Money matters are always tricky, but at the end of the day what you do for your family and
within your home is your business. If your motives are pure of heart, I know God will bless you beyond belief. God blesses good stewards." - Kristy G.


"Just smile and say, "Thank you for your insight. I'll certainly consider it." Then do what you
feel is best for yourself and your family with God's leadership." - Sheila S.


"I would tell them that I have to account for my finances to God, since he gives me all that I have. If I do not manage my finances to the best of my abilities, and in a way that is pleasing to him, then I will have to answer for that. God will, and has convicted me in ways that I can be handling things better, and that is when I have to change my behaviors accordingly. So that is why I handle my finances in the way that I do." - Dawn D.


Thank you to my friends who helped answer this question!


I do not think I have had anyone specifically verbalize their disagreement with the way that I handle my finances. I would hope that I stay gracious and respectful if they ever do - sometimes the northern attitude comes out of me when I feel attacked. 

The only way that I have experienced this has been when I haven't bought something. Like a certain grocery item because I think it is too expensive and can wait until it goes on sale or I find a coupon. They have said something like, "Oh just buy it. It is only a few dollars - it is not a big deal." 

I know that it is not a big deal but sticking to a budget is important to me. Yes, I could go over my budget by a little but I would rather it be to stock up on something that is at its rock bottom price. 

With that being said, I firmly believe that financial matters should stay between you and your spouse. If you are single, then it just stays with you. Unless you are struggling with debt or budgeting - you should join a small group study - we have gone through Crown Financial. Get accountability! 

Learning what the Bible says about finances gives you a clear perspective on how we are to handle our finances. If you know what you are to do with them (for your family) then God will bless you. 

People always have their own opinion and are quick to judge. But remember they are not God - we are not God - He is the only one that knows ALL. He knows what you are doing, how you are doing it and what the outcome will be. 

They can share their thoughts - you can take them or ignore them. I would just say something like, "Oh okay." and I would leave it at that. I would change the subject. But if it is appropriate I would continue the conversation to see what their beliefs on how we should use our money is. Maybe they are in need of some encouragement. Find where there heart is - people tend to judge when there is something not right in their own lives. 

God will convict you when you are not following His will. I have been convicted many times especially with my finances. In college, I had debt but after taking the Crown Financial class it was paid off. It was hard work but I got it done. 

Bottom line is - if you are following what the Lord has put upon your heart and what the Bible says about money management, then you do not have to worry about what others say. I am from the north, we don't really care what most people say. lol (unless it is something we need to hear and even then we probably wouldn't admit it.) 

You can be gracious and respectful by holding your tongue. Do not judge them. Make your response short - nod your head, just say okay thanks. Then talk about something else. Or just tell them that you would rather not talk about your finances. You and your spouse like to keep them within your family. 

Nothing more is needed to be said. 


To my readers: I hope this has helped you. If you have any more questions, please send them my way. I would love to help you in anyway I can. 







3 comments:

  1. Thanks, Carlye! This is super helpful. I will definitely be using all of this advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! I am so happy that it was helpful!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I am thankful you visited my blog today!

I love to read all your comments. Please keep your comments encouraging. Rude comments will be deleted.

Again, thank you!