4.24.2013

Chicken and Potato Casserole - My First Recipe!


Monday night, I needed something to make for dinner. I did not think about this until 5 pm! Lucky for me, Nathan has class until 10 pm (he did get off early at 8 pm.)

I looked in the freezer and found a bag of Diced Potatoes with Onions (picked up at Aldi for .89!) In the fridge, I noticed I had about 1 cup or so of shredded chicken leftover from dinner on Sunday.

I preheated the oven to 400 F then put the potatoes and chicken in a casserole dish.

Now what?

I looked in the fridge again and found sliced pepper jack cheese. So, I took two slices and chopped them up...into the casserole dish they went!

Added Tastefully Simple's Rustic Herb Seasoning, salt and pepper.

But it needed something.

I do not have cream of any type of soup in my cupboards - Nathan is not a fan!

So I made my own!

In a pan, melt 1 tbsp butter, whisk in 2 tbsp flour to form a paste and then add 1 cup low sodium chicken broth. Mix until thick!

I mixed everything together and baked for 25-30 minutes or until crispy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chicken and Potato Casserole

- 1 bag diced potatoes with onion
- 2 cups shredded chicken (we only had 1 cup so that is what i worked with)
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (we only had 2 slices of pepper jack cheese)
- herb seasoning (just shake to your liking)
- salt and pepper to taste

For "cream"

- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth

Mix the first set of ingredients together in a casserole dish.

In separate pot, melt the butter.

After butter is melted whisk in the flour until a paste forms.

Slowly whisk in the chicken broth.

Cook on medium until thick. Should only take a few minutes.

Combined your cream in the casserole dish.

Bake for 25-30 minutes at 400 F

Serve with broccoli.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope you enjoy this recipe and that it inspires you to create your own! Nathan loved this dish - he is not a huge fan of casseroles either.


2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! And nice job on using what you have :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lena! It is yummy. My nana was proud I didn't follow a recipe. haha

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I am thankful you visited my blog today!

I love to read all your comments. Please keep your comments encouraging. Rude comments will be deleted.

Again, thank you!