4.19.2013

Mom's Chili Beans Recipe From Simply Recipes

Last night, I needed to make a mexican themed meal for our neighborhood association meeting. I pulled out pinto beans, tomatoes with green chilies, rice, ground beef, tortillas and cilantro.

I looked online for a recipe I could use that used these ingredients. I remembered The Pioneer Woman's website which lead me to Simply Recipes.

I typed in "Pinto Bean Recipes" and I found this recipe. Mom's Chili Beans 

I changed a few things.

- 24 oz can pinto beans
- 1 tbsp Tastefully Simple Onion Onion
- 2 tsp Tastefully Simple Garlic Garlic
- 10 oz can tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 tsp. dried parsley

omitted:

- olive oil
- salt

I ended up simmering this for about 30 minutes. I was waiting for the kiddos I watch to be picked up.

In the end, we ended up not being able to make the meeting.

So, I had extra time to make rice for Hailey and I. Hailey said she didn't want a burrito...she wanted rice and beans. lol

{I was going to serve it on tortillas - someone else was bringing rice.}

For my meal, I took a couple tortillas - added sour cream, couple tbsp of rice and couple tbsp of beans/beef then topped with cilantro. Rolled them up. Then ate them. lol

This recipe was delicious. I was so happy to have found it. I will be making this more often.

Since Nathan is not home, I set aside half of the beans/beef mixture to put in the freezer. I have enough in the fridge for lunch today and tomorrow.

I calculated all the ingredients to see how much this meal cost - $5.80 or $0.96/ per serving. Since, I added extra beans it now serves 6 people.

Not too bad!


2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious! After I cook up the pinto beans in the pantry, we will be eating this.
    **Was just looking at your profile, and August Rush is mine and my husband's FAVORITE movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wonderful! you will not be disappointed. :D

      **that is so cool! i love that movie. i cry every time! i love music so it really gets to me.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a comment. I am thankful you visited my blog today!

I love to read all your comments. Please keep your comments encouraging. Rude comments will be deleted.

Again, thank you!